Monday, May 1, 2017

Week 14: Web Comics

I'm not one that's big on reading web comics but I thought that Johnny the Homicidal Maniac was a different, interesting read. Everything from the art style, lettering, and story, it's all different, which stands out the most to me. I wouldn't say that I like the art style and the intense lettering, but I do like that it's different from other web comics that I've seen.

The art style, along with the lettering, is very intense, with very wild, sketchy, hard pen strokes. While appealing to the eye, it also can be distracting to someone who is picky about certain art styles.  The art style seems reminiscent of Invader Zim with it's sketchy, creepy appeal. It's easy to comprehend what's going on in the panels, though the lettering is at times somewhat difficult to make out: more so when a certain word is bolded.



The overall story is downright creepy, but that's what sells it. I'm personally not a fan of these kinds of comics. In one segment, a woman calls Johnny "wacky looking." I thought this was ironic since all of the people in this universe looked "wacky." This comic is very weird and at one point, it seems to be serious but then turns comedic when Johnny threatens the woman that called him "wacky," with a spork; the woman responding calmly, "my taco is getting cold," not worried at all for what's to come. The scene turns into this crazy outrage with the panel showing the taco restaurant with screams coming out. Vaguely, you can see two people standing by the taco place and one of them says, "let's get pizza."

This comic is an overall great read, specifically if you're looking for something different and maybe even on the creepy aspect of things. If you miss Invader Zim, then this has all the vibes of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment